Personal Teaching Mission Statement
Teaching global awareness to a help create a community of lifelong learners who are informed and empowered to take action and create change.
As a teacher for the last 7 years I have known the frustration of being handed a course load at the beginning of the year and told to teach it. Especially in smaller private or public schools, as the entire social studies department, there are often little supports or ideas on what to actually do with the course. For every single one of the courses I have taught (Which Includes: AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP European History, AP Human Geography, AP US Government and Politics, AP, World History, Art History, Economics, Geographic Information Systems, Global Studies, Human Geography, International Politics, Psychology, Sociology, United States Government, United States History, World Geography, and World History) I have been either handed a textbook, a stack of unorganized resources, or nothing at all. For years one of the biggest challenges I have had to face is finding resources and coming up with lesson ideas.
The idea for Geography for Geographers came in the summer of 2016 when I was asked to present at a number of different conferences dealing with building curriculum and resources. Initially I had thought just expanding on my teaching resources site (www.mrtredinnick.com) , but then I decided instead that I wanted to make something bigger, and more useful. The grand vision of this site is to be a resources for teachers from all disciplines to use to incorporate geography into their lessons. Please feel free to use anything on this site for your own classrooms. If you need tests/quizzes/or versions of documents in microsoft please let me know and I would be happy to provide them for your use. If you have any questions or ideas please feel free to contact me using the form on this page or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope this site is helpful to you,
Professional Affiliations and Achievements
- American Association of Geographers - Geomentor
- Esri Geoinquiries Civics/US Government - Author/Consultant
- Geography Educators of Nebraska - Steering Committee
- Goethe Institute Trans-Atlantic Outreach Program Fellow
- LTMedia Labs: EarthXplorers - Lead Teacher
- Minnesota Alliance of Geographic Education - Member
- Minnesota GIS/LIS Consortium - Education Committee
- National Council for Geographic Education - Member
- National Council for Geographic Education - Distinguished K-12Teacher
- National Geographic 2017 Grosvenor Teacher Fellow
- National Geographic Certified Educator